Germany is the major economic and political power of the European continent and a historic leader in many theoretical and technical fields.

Working in Germany

If you would like to work in Germany, you need a residence title which permits you to work, that is a residence title for the purpose of employment.

The purposes of your stay and your training as well as your specific qualifications determine which specific residence title you qualify for:

Qualified Professionals

  • have received a specific job offer,
  • meet the general prerequisites for issuing a residence title, and
  • the Federal Employment Agency consents to the employment relationship

Highly-qualified workers

As a highly-qualified foreigner, you may receive an open-ended residence permit immediately, subject to certain preconditions, known as a “settlement permit” (section 19 of the Residence Act). Highly-qualified foreigners are in particular scientists with special technical knowledge, as well as teaching personnel and scientific personnel in prominent positions.


As a researcher, you can receive a residence permit for research purposes in accordance with section 20 of the Residence Act

  • if a research facility that is recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees has concluded a hosting agreement with you that is effective to implement a research project, and
  • your livelihood is secured by a specific minimum monthly net income. This can be documented by salary, grants or your own savings showing that your livelihood is secure.

Self-employed persons

You can receive a residence permit for the purpose of self-employment if there is an economic interest or a regional need, if the activity is expected to have positive effects on the economy and the funding is secured.

how can we help you?

Contact us at the Msource Overseas office nearest to you or submit a  inquiry online.